A characteristic feature of network security in Windows Server 2012 and Windows Server 2012 R2 is that the response to ICMP requests is disabled in the system by default, in other words, the system does not ping. In order to fix this problem, there are two system methods:
1. Allow pings through the Windows firewall settings.
2. Use the Powershell program shell.
1. In the main menu, open “Administrative Tools”, then “Windows Firewall with Advanced Security”.
Alternative path – Start -> Control Panel -> System and Security -> Windows Firewall -> Advanced Options.
2. In the new window, on the left side, select Rules for incoming connections, and in the main part we are looking for “File and printer sharing (echo request – incoming ICMPv4 traffic)”. Right-click and select “Enable Rule” from the context menu.
3. Check the results from another machine.
The second way.
If you are not a fan of the user interface and / or it does not work for some reason, then you can use PowerShell.
1. Launch PowerShell
2. Enter two commands in turn
Set-NetFirewallRule -DisplayName “File and Printer Sharing (Echo Request – Inbound ICMPv4)” -enabled True
Important! The names of existing rules should be indicated as they are entered in the general list and in the same language. In the English version, the rule is called “File and Printer Sharing (Echo Request – ICMPv4-In)”
It should be noted that if the network uses the IPv6 protocol, then you should perform similar actions by substituting the IPv6 protocol.
If these troubleshooting methods did not help, then we recommend:
– check if a third-party Firewall is used and check its settings;
– check whether ICMP traffic is allowed to pass through the gateway;
A similar check must be done on the remote machine.
Welcome to the world of DomainRooster, where roosters (and hens) rule the roost! We're a one-stop shop for all your entrepreneurial needs, bringing together domain names and website hosting, and all the tools you need to bring your ideas to life. With our help, you'll soar to new heights and hatch great success. Think of us as your trusty sidekick, always there to lend a wing and help you navigate the sometimes-complex world of domain names and web hosting. Our team of roosters are experts in their fields and are always on hand to answer any questions and provide guidance. So why wait? Sign up today and join the ranks of the world's greatest entrepreneurs. With DomainRooster, the sky's the limit! And remember, as the saying goes, "Successful people do what unsuccessful people are not willing to do." So don't be afraid to take that leap of faith - DomainRooster is here to help you reach for the stars. Caw on!