DHCP is a dynamic host setup method that automates the setup of client network settings such as IP address, gateway, DNS, subnet mask. The DHCP server controls the issuance of IP addresses, avoids their duplication and launches extra addresses.
Below we will certainly think about exactly how to mount and also configure a DHCP server on Windows Server 2016 for one subnet.
- Launch Server Manager and select “Add roles and features”. Let’s select the first item “Role – based or feature – based installation”:
- Specify the server on which we will install the DHCP role:
- Next, you need to find and select the DHCP role in the list. We agree to add the components required for proper operation of the DHCP service . Since the components are added at the “Server Roles” step, we skip the “Features” step:
- The wizard will remind you to plan subnets, areas, and exclusions in advance:
- Check the installed components and click “Install”:
- Once the installation is complete, you can begin the initial DHCP configuration. Follow the link “Complete DHCP configuration”:
The initial setup process takes place in two stages:
1. Create a “Security Group” to manage this DHCP server. There are two in total:
- DHCP Administrators – group members have full rights to manage the DHCP server;
- DHCP Users – group members have the ability to view server settings and a list of connected devices.
2. Authorization of the DHCP server in Active Directory (if it is joined to a domain). This setting is needed to avoid the appearance of extraneous DHCP servers on the network. The server must be authorized for the DHCP service to start:
- Enter the administrator credentials and click the “Commit” button. If the server is not joined to a domain, then select the last item:
- If everything is done correctly, the wizard notifies you that the configuration has been successfully completed:
Launch “Server Manager”. We find the DHCP item in the “Tools” drop-down list:
In our version, we are considering issuing IPv4 addresses, so we need to create a new area (Scope) – a pool of IP addresses issued to clients. Right-click on IPv4 and select “New Scope…”:
The Create Realm Wizard opens, where we enter the name of the pool. If necessary, you can enter a description:
We define the boundaries of our pool by setting the start and end IP address. Also enter the subnet mask:
If necessary, you can add one or more IP addresses from the pool being created to exceptions. This range may include network devices that already have a static IP assigned. There is also a parameter to delay the server response before sending data to the request from the host:
Next, you can specify the lease time for the IP address. The default is 8 days:
Now the Wizard will prompt you to specify the network parameters (Gateway, DNS, WINS) issued to clients on the network:
Specify the address of the network gateway:
Next, enter the domain name and DNS server. DNS can be found either by the server name, or by specifying the IP address:
The next step allows you to add a WINS server:
Select “Activate” the area we specified now:
After setting up the pool, you can check if the server is running. You can view the connected clients by going to the “Address Leases” section. In our case, we see that one device is connected:
If we go to the client machine, we can check the correctness of the received settings:
Although we considered setting up on Windows Server 2016, this instruction will also work for Windows Server 2008-2012, since the process is not very different.
HostRooster Cloud is a cloud organizing company that offers cloud computing services as well as Infrastructure as a Solution (IaaS) in a simplified method so building contractors can invest even more time creating software program that changes the globe.
Whether your business is early in its trip or well on its way to electronic improvement, HostRooster Cloud can aid you solve your toughest obstacles.
Welcome to the world of DomainRooster, where roosters (and hens) rule the roost! We're a one-stop shop for all your entrepreneurial needs, bringing together domain names and website hosting, and all the tools you need to bring your ideas to life. With our help, you'll soar to new heights and hatch great success. Think of us as your trusty sidekick, always there to lend a wing and help you navigate the sometimes-complex world of domain names and web hosting. Our team of roosters are experts in their fields and are always on hand to answer any questions and provide guidance. So why wait? Sign up today and join the ranks of the world's greatest entrepreneurs. With DomainRooster, the sky's the limit! And remember, as the saying goes, "Successful people do what unsuccessful people are not willing to do." So don't be afraid to take that leap of faith - DomainRooster is here to help you reach for the stars. Caw on!