We all know that the more power you have, the better you are able to get the job completed. The problem is most Project Managers have lots of responsibility, but hardly any Authority, and since most projects exist outside core business structures, they are forced to develop other methods of influence.
One unspoken evil that is often ignored in project management training courses in the politics of project management. While most of us view politics with disgust; there is no refuting that effective Project Managers are often seen as those who are equipped and able to employ fitting political strategies to further their project goals.
Have you ever included office politics as a risk on your risk register? Probably not. Though, consider the potential implications of ignoring the ugly stepchild of project management.
While it is unlikely that office politics would be listed directly as a risk on your risk register, it is quite likely that one or more of its outcomes of it would. As a result, if you want to survive and prosper in the real world you need to combine good Work with smart politics to ensure your own success and that of your projects. The biggest mistake a project manager can make is to assume that politics in project management doesn’t exist. After all, politics is human nature and has played an integral part in history since the dawn of civilization.
In a group where Working interactions are fraught with tension and individuals have their own personal agendas or want to be â€œtop dog” personal conflicts will often get in the way of the project aims. Issues between members of the team become the overriding concern both for the individuals afraid and sometimes even the project manager. Meetings can consist of jostling for power or simply trying to justify your position and when that happens progress on the project will undoubtedly suffer.
For most Project Managers, playing politics is a form of slow, soul-destroying torture where logic, self-control, transparency, and trustworthiness are replaced by deception, concealment, and sabotage. However, ignoring the external and internal politics surrounding your project or organization is dangerous. Successful Project Managers need to understand organizational politics and how to make them work for project Success.
In the case of project politics you can use these key techniques in a constructive manner:
Carefully Manage Your Own Conduct
- The first rule is to at all times act in a way that commands respect and beyond that, respect others. That means not gossiping, spreading rumours, or getting sucked into interpersonal conflicts and arguments. Maintain your honesty!
- Being positive with a positive outlook is a choice that you can always make and remain professional.
- Be confident and firm but not hostile and make sure you take organizational perspectives, not personal one when voicing objections or giving criticism.
- Always assume things will be disclosed, so don’t rely on confidentiality.
- Over time you will learn what works in your organization’s culture and what doesn’t. Try to watch other people and identify Successful behaviours that you can model to navigate the political minefield.
Review the Organization Chart
Understand the Social Network
Build Good Relationships
- Now you need to build multiple networks but avoid aligning yourself with one group or another this way you can keep your finger on the pulse of the organization.
- Don’t be afraid of politically powerful people and instead, develop relationships that cross the formal hierarchy in all directions.
- Build your relationships on trust and respect and avoid empty flattery.
Use Your Social Network
- You will need to learn to use your social network to stay clear of negative politics. You can do this through positive political action.
- Use your network to gain access to information, build visibility of your achievements and improve difficult relationships.
- Attract opportunities where you can shine and Seek out ways to make yourself, your team, and your boss look good.
Counteract Negative Play
“The Expression, Keep Your Friends Close and Your Enemies Closer” Couldn’t Be Any Truer When it Comes to Office Politics.”
- Your mapping of the organization will help you to identify those people who use others for their own political purposes, and not for the common good. Know that these people typically have low self-worth (that’s why they rely on destructive politicking to get ahead). Always be very careful what you say to them. Understand what motivates them, their goals, and how to avoid or counter the impact of their politics
- Remember loyalty is not a reliable factor in the Workplace!
“it is easy to become a target if you’re ambitious or if you strive for change. One of the biggest mistakes we make in our career is to assume that everyone likes progress. This is not true, many are content with the status quo and will defend it with their life.”
Projects are rarely easy and office politics can compound other sorts of problems that arise so they need to be dealt with swiftly and firmly.
Originally published at https://bestknownhost.com on June 17, 2012.
Welcome to the world of DomainRooster, where roosters (and hens) rule the roost! We're a one-stop shop for all your entrepreneurial needs, bringing together domain names and website hosting, and all the tools you need to bring your ideas to life. With our help, you'll soar to new heights and hatch great success. Think of us as your trusty sidekick, always there to lend a wing and help you navigate the sometimes-complex world of domain names and web hosting. Our team of roosters are experts in their fields and are always on hand to answer any questions and provide guidance. So why wait? Sign up today and join the ranks of the world's greatest entrepreneurs. With DomainRooster, the sky's the limit! And remember, as the saying goes, "Successful people do what unsuccessful people are not willing to do." So don't be afraid to take that leap of faith - DomainRooster is here to help you reach for the stars. Caw on!
Comments are closed.